Carol Henderson and Cyndy McCrary of the Memphis Invest customer service team spent two days last week at the Secret Service Summit event in Ohio learning from and working with some of the top customer service experts in the country. IT was a great opportunity for the team to get a first hand look at how other companies and even some of the experts in the field of customer service are staying ahead of their competitors and providing great service to their clients. We have been asked before why we put such a focus on customer service and why we are constantly telling the story of being really great at it for our clients. I think that receiving thank you notes like this one really sum up our commitment:
"Thank you Laurie, that is good news! I appreciate you keeping me up to date. I feel like I am your only client".
I think any of the staff at our companies will tell you that it is not easy being "on" all the time. This is real estate investing after all! So there will be things that go wrong...properties will go vacant and sometimes good tenants can do bad things. It is definitely part of the business. But when investors are buying property sometimes from thousands of miles away, they NEED to KNOW that someone is on point and taking care of their property. Investors do not want to have thoughts running around in the back of their minds about "if" their property is ok "if" the rent is being collected.
That is where customer service comes in and events like the Secret Service Summit in Ohio only serve to underscore how important a great service relationship is in a business like investment property sales and management. A few tips the customer service team brought back to Memphis:
- Learn to listen first before you learn to talk. Communication 101!
- Share your core values and your company culture.
- Encourage clients to share not only positives, but also the negatives. They do exist!
- Patiently work through issues with clients seeking first to resolve then to improve.
- Invest in great relationships.
- Never hesitate to show a client how important they are to your company.
- Earn trust ~ people trust people, not companies.
- Work on predictable outcomes so clients KNOW what is coming next.
- Always share your companies culture - what makes you unique!
- Survey your clients annually at a minimum to see what is important to them at that time.
- You can make a Difference in someones' day!
I think one more recent communication from a client really sums up the whole list and the reason we are putting the energy and effort into continuing to train our customer service team. We recently received this email from a client who shared with us his concerns and opinions for the future of our business.
"I look forward to reading the book that you have sent me. Your goal of becoming the "best", is my goal for Memphis Invest! If you are the best, then we both reap the rewards of your success. Visiting with you about my issues will help strengthen our relationship and hopefully give you additional insights".
It is these types of letters and cards that we receive daily that reminds us that we are on the right track! If you would like to send a note to Carol, Cyndy or Laurie, feel free to leave a note in the comments below! Let them know how much you appreciate their efforts...we sure do!
Carol, Cyndy & Laurie - the bobble heads - hanging outside in the beautiful Memphis weather!